As part of our mission to support education and research in HPB surgery, IHPBA and the IHPBA Foundation will provide up to 30 travel grants for young surgeons from underserved regions to attend the 14th IHPBA World Congress. The grant package will also include attendance at one of the Postgraduate Courses on 21 September.
These grants are intended to support individuals who are committed to research and the improvement of services in their own regions and only candidates who meet the eligibility and qualifying criteria should apply.
- Be an IHPBA member, under the age of 40 before 20 September 2020 or within the first 5 years of qualifying as a specialist surgeon. · Practice in a low-resource country – click here for list of eligible countries. Priority will be given to applicants in group A countries but abstract presenters (oral, poster or video) from group B countries can also apply.
- Spend 50% of working time in a medical school, teaching hospital or government agency.
- Be able to present an oral communication, poster or video in English if your submitted abstract is accepted.
- Be available to attend the full scientific programme of the Congress (21 – 24 September 2020).
- Have or be able to obtain the required documents for travel to Australia
- A letter of recommendation is required from the chair of your department, programme director or president of your IHPBA chapter. The letter must confirm that each of the eligibility criteria has been met prior to application.
- A written statement from the applicant explaining why you are applying and the potential benefits for you if you attend.
- Please click here to upload your supporting documents (Letter of Recommendation and your written statement).
- An abstract submitted on or before the submission deadline date of 21 January 2020.
- Please click here to submit your abstract.
How to apply
- When you submit your abstract you will be able to apply for the travel grant.
- If you are submitting more than one abstract you only need to upload the supporting documents once.
- The deadline to submit an abstract/apply for a travel grant is Tuesday 21 January 2020.
Administration of the Grant
- Accommodation and continental breakfast will be provided by IHPBA for awardees at the Best Westerm Pensione Hotel, located 5 minutes’ walk from the conference centre, for the nights of 20 – 23 September 2020 inclusive.
- Accommodation will be in a room for twin occupancy and you will be expected to share a room with another travel grant recipient of the same sex. Awardees have the option to upgrade to a room for single occupancy at their own cost.
- Complimentary registration to attend one of the postgraduate courses and the World Congress will be provided.
- If required, the application for a travel visa for Australia is the responsibility of the applicant and a copy of the visa application should be provided with acceptance of the grant. IHPBA can issue a visa invitation letter to facilitate this process. Proof of travel documents must be supplied to IHPBA by 1 July 2020, otherwise grant funding will be withdrawn. Applicants should therefore not book travel until a visa is secured
- Awardees will be expected to pay for their own travel and for subsistence while in Melbourne, although the balance of the grant funding as detailed below will help to cover this.
- The balance of the grant after registration and shared accommodation has been supplied is as follows:
- Applicants from countries outside the Asia-Pacific Region: $750.00
- Applicants from the Asia-Pacific Region: $400.00
- Successful applicants will be notified after 21 April 2020.